Mayor Timothy Shearlaw called the Town of Three Hills Council Meeting to order at 5:35 p.m. on Monday April 23. The motion to adjourn was at 6:55. Greg Skotheim was absent due to vacation.
Each of the Councillors gave reports as to their committee meetings and workshops recently attended.
Councillor Terry Lee mentioned that Cruise Weekend plans are going smoothly and the only thing left to work out is the weather!
Councillor Vernon Wiebe spoke of the positive input of one speaker at a Community Management meeting, and what some towns have accomplished in downtown renewal.
David Nadeau had opportunity to speak to Mr. Will Andries' Grade 6 about the Food Bank and had the class participating in working at the Food Bank. The class also had good questions about being a Councillor and the workings of the local government.
Al Campbell continued the glowing report of the success of the recent visit of the 55 U of A medical students to our town. Everyone was encouraged by the positive response of the students, including their pitching in and being part of the "small town" experience as they helped with the "clean up" after the supper on Saturday evening.
Councillor Harold Leo reported positive results in the FCSS Strategic Planning Sessions that he attended.
Councillor Howe spoke of Community Planning meetings also, and of the spirit of co-operation with municipalities and counties and what can be accomplished by working together.
Mayor Shearlaw gave a rundown of the many meetings in which he has been involved over the past two weeks.
In the long range there is development of the November 24 fund raiser for the newly-formed Three Hills Health & Initiative.
Plans are being worked out with the Arts Academy for street entertainment and the use of the Calgary Stampede portable stage during the Centennial Weekend.
May 12 is going to be the kickoff of a special RCMP week, with several activities associated with that, including a BBQ, from which a portion of monies received will be going to Mr. Melvin Wright and his fund-raising walk for women's cancer.
Under the Management Report we learned of ongoing negotiations affecting the use of the Wilson Fields, the "East Gym", and additional uses of the Three Hills General Store.
Norm Campion reported that the County of Kneehill are very busy levelling what will be known as Centennial Fields, north of the Prairie Christian Academy Elementary School. Quotes are forthcoming for the irrigation, fencing, and sodding of the land.
Concerning the Anderson Park development and the building of the Amphitheatre, drawings have been submitted. There is a May 10 deadline for bids, after which work is expected to begin.
Several items come up under the heading of "Items for Discussion". Among these are the following:
A few ideas as to how Town Council might follow up the contact recently made with the medical students from the University of Alberta;
The involvement of the Town of Three Hills in Boomtown Trail activities;
Some ideas of a Town Clean Up Day, tentatively set for May 26, details to be forthcoming;
The recognition by Council that the new fields being prepared for athletic use, will be known as the "Centennial Fields", in recognition of the Town of Three Hills Centennial Celebration 2012.
The "Request for Decisions" portion of the meeting brought forth the following motions or approval of actions to be undertaken:
1. That the Mayor and CAO be authorized to sign a one year contract with Long's Auto Holdings for the Maintenance and Operation of the Three Hills Municipal Campground During the 2012 Summer Months at the existing contract rates, with the option of continuing the contract for two additional years at the existing contract rates."
Mayor Shearlaw excused himself from Council Chambers during this presentation.
2. That the Mayor and CAO be authorized to sign a one year contract with an option of a second year with Dynamic Yard Care for the provision of providing grass cutting and green area maintenance to our green areas, parks and cemetery in the Town of Three Hills for 2112.
3. That Council meet with Michelle Toombs of Marigold Library System on Monday May 14, 2012 at 5:30 p.m." This is for the general purpose to bring Council up to date and to answer any questions.
4. That Mitzy Frere be appointed to the Library Board for a three year term (eligible to be appointed for two additional consecutive terms) commencing immediately."
5. That the contract to facilitate the Annexation Proposals be awarded to the agency chosen.
6. That the 2012 6th and 7th Avenue Project including 1st North be awarded to AIC Construction, and that the Mayor and Town Manager be authorized to execute the required contract documents."
Council gave third and final reading to bylaw 1343-12 authorizing the issuance of debentures in the amount of $136,400 for the purpose of constructing Centennial Fields on Lot 1, Block 10, Plan 0813003. The funds will be borrowed only if the Three Hills Soccer Association CFEP Grant Application for $125,000 is unsuccessful.
The acceptance of the Correspondence received, amounted to the final order of business for the evening.
|< Prev||Next >|