Seniors Outreach - September 5, 2018

In this day and age, Seniors and those who are close to becoming Seniors are strongly encouraged to maintain their identity supporting documents and numerical identifiers and to be able to provide these as needed:

a. to move more freely around the province, the country and the world in general;

b. to apply for pensions, supplements and supports; and

c. to enable greater contact with government departments.

Photo Identity supporting documents are those which enable border security, airlines, businesses which require age identity, etc. to easily recognize you. These will include generally one of two ID cards: An Alberta Drivers License (with photo ID) or if you do not have a driver’s license then you should apply for an Alberta ID card (with photo ID).

If you’re an Alberta resident who can legally live in Canada and don’t have a valid driver’s licence, you can apply for an ID card to use as photo identification. An Alberta ID card is for identification purposes only and doesn’t allow the holder to operate a motor vehicle. The ID card is valid for five years. To apply for an Alberta ID card, visit any authorized registry agent in Alberta. You’ll need to prove that you’re an Alberta resident and that you can legally live in Canada.

In Kneehill County the registeries that are able to provide these Alberta ID cards are Linden Registries, Linden, AB; Adam B. Young Insurance, Three Hills, AB; and Trochu Registries, Trochu, AB.

You can prove that you’re an Alberta resident by providing the registry agent with a utility bill or other statement that has been mailed to your residence. Electronic statements, such as bank statements, aren’t allowed.

To prove that you can legally live in Canada, you can provide the registry agent with one of the following:

• Canadian birth certificate;

• Permanent Resident Card;

• Citizenship card;

• Canadian passport; work permit.

• A work permit that states “Does not confer temporary residence status” is not acceptable. [source:]

The Driver’s license OR Alberta ID card are not useful generally to fill out any of the government documents, however, for travel and interactions they are very useful.

As for the Identification matter in filling out documents:

a. Canada Pension Plan (CPP) documents – Social Insurance Number as one’s chief identifier

b. Old Age Security (OAS) documents – Social Insurance Number as one’s chief identifier

c. Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS), Allowance or Allowance for the Survivor documents- Social Insurance Number as one’s chief identifier and in the case of marriage (certified copy of one’s marriage certificate) OR common-law (a Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union).

d. Alberta Seniors Financial Assistance Application (SFA) – Personal Health Number as one’s chief identifier with our provincial Seniors & Housing Ministry; your Social Insurance Number (simply for this application); a photocopy of either your birth certificate(s) [whether single or a couple] or a photocopy of your passport(s).

e. Any phone calls to Service Canada or Canada Revenue Agency for information or updating of information requires your Social Insurance Number.

f. Any phone calls to Alberta Supports, Alberta Dental Services, Blue Cross, etc. for information or updating of information requires your Alberta Personal Health Number.

As such, one can see that official Identification continues to be of major importance. If a Senior maintains their documents and knows their identifiers, the connection is so much easier to make and to maintain.

Seniors Outreach continues through our Main office Administrator and Administrative Assistant, Kneehill North Community Relations Coordinator and Kneehill South Community Relations Coordinator during our office hours across Kneehill County, to support, to service, to advocate for, and to facilitate the application processes, ongoing connections and other supports for Kneehill Seniors.

Seniors Outreach Main Office Hours: Three Hills - 9 - 4 Monday to Thursday; Kneehill South - Carbon - Tuesdays, 9 - 12; Acme - Thursdays, 9 - 12; Linden - Thursdays - 1 - 4.

Kneehill North - Trochu- Tues. & Wed., 9 - 4; Torrington - Thursdays, 9-12.

Monthly Info Meetings for Sept: These are usually one hour sessions presented in cooperation with the following Seniors Centres: Topic: Specific Decision Making/Supported Decision Making/Personal Directives/Guardianship and Trusteeship by R. Stoltz, Public Guardian Rep, Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee, Red Deer office.

Thurs., Sept. 20 - Three Hills CommUnity Drop-in Centre- 10 a.m.

Thurs., Sept. 20 - Torrington Silver Willow Seniors Centre- 2 p.m.

Thurs., Sept. 20 - Linden 50+ Club at Care & Share Centre- Potluck 6 pm, Presentation 6:45 pm